- Radiologist to mother at 40 week ultrasound, recommending another scan in 3 days. The mother wanted to wait another two days due to observance of a religious holiday. The only reason was being past her due date.
- Ultrasound tech when the tech asked the mother for her LMP and the mother stated that her doctor had decided to use her ovulation date to calculate the due date because her last period was two pregnancies ago. The mother had miscarried and got pregnant again without a period.
“I thought I would let you know that we do not induce here unless absolutely necessary so no need to worry that we’ll be scheduling a cesarean. Your baby will come when it wants to come and needs those last few weeks in there!”
- OB to mother at first prenatal appointment when the mother was asking questions about the practice.
“So, we need to talk about what happens if you go past your due date. Why don’t I run you through what we normally do and you can tell me how that fits what you want and if we need to tweak anything.” – Midwife to mother who did not want any interventions if and when she got to her due date.
OB: “Oh, you won’t make it to 42 weeks.”
Mother: “Why not?”
OB: “We don’t let VBACs go past 40 weeks. The rupture rate increases to 2% after 40 weeks. We have to think of our liabilities and the safety of our patients.”
Mother: “That sounds awfully unfair. Women don’t even get a chance to go into labor
OB: “I’m not trying to be unfair, that’s just our practice’s policy.”
“Really, the biggest risk in waiting another week is a slightly bigger baby.” – OB to mother who did not want an induction just past her due date.
“If I had a pit drip, I’d get you into labor.” - OB nurse to expectant mother when she was overdue.
“We’ll just go ahead and schedule an induction for next week now.” – Midwife to mother at a routine prenatal appointment four days before my due date. The induction was to be scheduled for one date after the due date.
“Fine, have it your way, but I hate having to wear my three piece suit.” – OB to mother who was told she needed an IV because she was in labor at 42 weeks and therefore high risk. The mother declined the IV.
“You’ve been charting for four years. We’ll just go with your date.” – Certified Nurse Midwife to mother when discussing conflicting measurements taken during the 11 week ultrasound.